Wednesday 4 January 2012

ELF - Haul & Review

Afternoon internet!

I think it's time to address the elephant in the room. Or well, the elephant in the url. It's pretty obvious my real name is not elf (the more you know!), but if you want to know why I'm called elf you're about to find out.
E.L.F
Yep. I'm in love with ELF (eyeslipsface.co.uk) Cosmetics! Ok, maybe in love is perhaps an overstatement. I just really enjoy their cheap products at amazing prices. That it mind, today I have a haul and mini-review of my newest elf order. Everything I bought was under £4, insane! So let's get into it:

EYES

Cream Eyeliner in Gunmetal (Brush included) - £2.45 [Sale]
It seems a bit of a waste of packaging for such a small product, but now I've used it I get you don't need a massive pot.  In fact, you barely need any product to create a soft yet defining line on the eyelid. So far so good for a quick fix, however  I'm finding it hard to blend with shadows.

Matte Eyeshadow in Nude (Brush included) -  £3.50

Again I was slightly surprised by the packaging here, and when I opened it I was equally surprised with how messy the box already was. Despite that, I've really enjoyed using this eyeshadow. The colour (nude) is a really nice shade for lightening the eye area, and it's so soft and natural that I'll be using it for my everyday school look.

Waterproof Eyeliner pencil in Black - £1.50
This is the one of, if not the best, eyeliner I think I've ever used. Now I'm very picky about most eyeliners (excluding cream eyeliners) as I feel they tend to close up and hood my eyes rather than define them. It's usually too much of a harsh line for me to wear everyday. However, the applicator allows you to draw on such a fine a line that it actually works to my taste! And again, amazing value.

Eyelid Primer in Pearl - £1.50
I've always been doubtful if Primers are really necessary, but either way, I love this little potion. I actually ordered a different shade but in true elf fashion they sent me this one, although it still works a treat. The applicator here isn't the best but I blend it with my finger anyway. Definitely re-purchasing.



48pc Pro Mini Eyeshadow Palette in Warm - £3.75 [Sale]

 
If you can get through the initial obnoxious packaging, this palette is a god send. I'm not one for wearing party colours everyday of the week, so the colours in this are perfect for creating natural and wearable looks for me (that also include sparkle eek!). The brush included is not one I'd like to use, but the palette all together is pretty compact and I'll definitely be able to take it on holiday etc. My only quibble is that one of the shades (3rd row down on the far left) is not stuck down. If anyone's interested in a further look at this palette with swatches etc I'll be more than happy to make a more in depth review!



6pc Eyeshadow Set in Natural - £1.75 [Sale]


This is my new go-to palette. You can create a natural shine, a smoky eye, a shimmery party - so many possibilities with juts 6 colours. There isn't much else to say about this apart from that you need in this palette in your life. It's a bargain for what you get and I'll be purchasing other variations of colour soon.




 LIPS

Matte Lip Colour in Tea Rose - £3.50 [Sale]
This is one of the best purchases I made. The tube itself isn't particularly robust and already the print on the tube is completely rubbed off.. not that that matters. Sorry I haven't got a swatch or anything here, you'll just have to trust me on what a great shade this is. It stays on for a long time and it is really easy to apply. Again, I'll definitely re-purchase in more shades.


FACE

Tone Correcting Concealer in Ivory - £1.50
My new go-to. Really blends to my skin tone well and covers up both under eye circles and spots fantastically. Not great if you only want a really small amount of product, but you can fix that by using it in conjunction with concealer brush. I've been carrying this around with me everywhere!

Corrective Concealer - £3.50
I bought this after seeing many gurus raving about it, but I'm sorry to say I'm a bit disappointed. Neither of the concealing colours blend with my skin tone very well and the correcting shades don't seem to work with me either. But I'm not going to give up on the idea of correcting shades yet...

Pressed Clarifying Power in Light Beige - £1.50
The first couple of days after the order arrived, I found myself using this obsessively (with a stipple brush as the puff included is fairly pathetic). But in hindsight I can't help but thinking that was a bad move, and it only seems to give my skin the a bit of a 'I didn't wash my face this morning' look, not good. I might order in a lighter shade to see how it works.


TOOLS

Studio Stipple Brush - £3.50
I really like this brush. I don't love it, but I do give it credit. Prior to buying this brush I'd seen a bunch of gurus using and raving about this brush, so I HAD to check it out. However, the reason I'm not smitten with this brush is simple; I don't actually use products that require stippling (is that even a word?!) on a regular basis. That said, when I did use it, it really applied the product well and retains it's original shape (but not colour) after washing.

Concealer Brush - £1.50
Sorry I couldn't get a close up of the brush itself here, but you can just about see how fine the bristles are in this picture. Basically, I love this brush! It's perfect for it's job and amazing value. It helps to work in both liquid and 'solid'(I've not a clue what the proper word is) concealers effectively. Plus, it pops in my carry around bag really easily
.
Eye Shadow Brush - £1.50
This brush is a job well done. It doesn't stand out as one of the best eye shadow brushes in the world as it's not as soft and the bristles aren't as long as I'd like, but all the same it's pretty bog standard good.

Daily Brush Cleaser - £2.45 [Sale]
Sleek packaging and impressive, quick results. I want the shampoo too!

All together my order totaled £33.40, and postage was free! The sale is still adding new items and shipping for orders over £30 is free, how good is that?


What's your favourite Elf product?


Cheers,




5 comments:

  1. bloody hell that was a big order! it seems seriously cheap - is it good quality? i'd love to try but i dont know whether to stick with other cheap brands (like collection 2000 etc) what do you think? x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment lovely! I have yet to purchase e.l.f products, I really need to jump on the bandwagon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @kb Haha I guess it was! And yes, I would say almost all the products I ordered are actually good quality, not 'top top' quality, but still good enough quality to use for everyday looks. I can totally get why it's easy to be wary of cheaper products, even I don't particularly want a £1 product all over my skin, but I think there is no really need to be if you know which ones work. Again with Collection 2000, even though its cheap, it still does it's job like a high end product would. It's whatever works for you :)

    @me+moustaches No problem! And you definitely should. Maybe try out the sale on nail varnishes?

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog!!! xoxo from Rome

    www.rockandfrock.com

    Ps. Follow each other???

    ReplyDelete